Skip to main content

Asian Sloppy Joes




A new kind of sloppy joe, and a good one!

Our local paper, Star Tribune, has a Taste section each week where they feature different recipes and restaurants.   I have found quite a few recipes that we have really liked in that section.  A couple of weeks ago they highlighted different types of Sloppy Joe's.  I love a good sloppy Joe - who doesn't?  Tonight we tried the Asian recipe and we really liked it.  We especially liked the  suggestion of adding spicy pickles and shredded lettuce.  The pickles added just the right "oomph" in both flavor and crunch. This recipe has already been added to our permanent recipe file.

The mixture can be refrigerated for up to three days, just reheat gently before serving.

Ingredients:
2 T. canola oil
2 medium red onions, finely chopped
1 c. finely chopped celery
3 T. Asian Chile sauce, such as sambal olek
2  1/2 T. garlic
1 T. peeled minced fresh ginger
Salt and pepper
1 lb ground chicken thighs
1 lb ground pork
1 c. hoisin sauce
1 c. drained canned diced tomatoes
1/2 c. fresh lime juice
Dinner rolls/Hamburger uns, split and toasted
Shredded iceberg lettuce an spicy pickles for serving.


Grinding the chicken.


Chicken Thighs:
De bone and then chill the thighs for at least an hour.  Once chilled put through a meat grinder.  (If you don't have a meat grinder use ground chicken already packaged.)




Directions:
Vegetables
In a large, deep skillet, hear canola oil until shimmering. Add onions, celery, chile sauce, garlic, ginger, an a generous pinch each of salt and pepper.  Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes.


Meat and vegetables.
Add ground chicken and pork and cook, stirring occasionally to break up the meat, until no pick remains, about 5 minutes.  Stir in hoisin, tomatoes and lime juice, and bring to a boil.  simmer over moderately low hear, stirring occasionally , until thickened, about 20 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.



Spoon about 1/4 cup of sloppy Joe filing on  the bottom half of each roll.To with shredded lettuce an pickles.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Rubbed Filet Mignon with Ancho Mushroom Sauce, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts

It really was as good, or even better then it looks! Tonight's meal is all Daryl!  He asked me what I wanted and my response was something like, "Meat sounds good, clean, not a lot of cheese, cream etc..." and what he came up with was  Coffee Rubbed Filet Mignon with Ancho Mushroom Sauce, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts.   Did I marry a good man or what?!  I also thought another Cesar Salad sounded good so, you guessed it - we're having one!   We are huge fans of Bobby Flay and we chose his recipes a lot.  I have said before that his recipes can be pretty time consuming, but there are days when that can be fun, and this was one of those days.  Daryl enjoys the steps that he has in his recipes, it makes it interesting for him, and a it is a challenge.  I am grateful to Bobby because of him I get to eat awesome food! SMOKED RED PEPPER SAUCE Yields: 2 ½ cups 4 roasted red bell peppers, chopped ½ small red onion, coarsely ...

Curry Spiced Bloody Mary

I am a self proclaimed Bloody Mary connoisseur.   It is my go to drink when we go out, always.  I tend to just drink wine at home. It's too expensive out, and we have much better wine at home anyway.  Occasionally I will go for a Margarita, but only if I know that it will be made from scratch, which is rare.  I used to be a waitress and a bartender and I am fully aware that most margaritas, at most bars and restaurants, have them pre-made on a "gun".  No thank you.  Back to my Bloody Mary addiction. Many bars use a bottle mix for Bloody Mary's, which doesn't bother me as much as the gun margarita, but I prefer one that is made from scratch.   I love tomatoes.  I could eat them every day - I actually do in the summer when we can get them fresh off the vine.  Here in MN a tomato in the winter doesn't even resemble a real one. I have found the perfect Bloody Mary recipe in our bon appetit subscription a few years ago.  It is light an...

Seared Tuna, Yellowtail and Salmon with Three Dipping Sauces

Simply delicious! These were pan seared on the stove.  This is a perfect light summer meal!  I have made it using the grill and the stove top and they were both fabulous!  I am not a huge fan of the Orange-Ginger Sauce but I included it here just in case you were interested in trying it.  There is nothing off putting about it, I just don't care for the orange flavor with the fish.  For a side dish I simply have either roasted asparagus or a corn salad.  (See separate post)  Also, the fish monger at Coastal Seafood informed me that yellowtail is synonymous with Hamachi (the one on the right).  I enjoyed the salmon and the tuna more so the second time I made this I only used those two, again your preference.(Another Bobbly Flay fav) Ingredients 1 pound skinless salmon fillet, sliced into 1-inch think strips 1 pound skinless tuna loin, sliced into 1-inch thick strips 1 pound yellowtail fillet, sliced tino 1-inch-thick strips Canola oil...