Skip to main content

Bacon, Gorgonzola, and Dried Cranberry Salad with a Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette







I'm not sure what it is about this salad that I'm addicted to.  It could be the combination of the salty bacon with the tart cranberries, or the creamy dressing with the Gorgonzola cheese.  I don't know, and I don't care.  I'll I know is that I LOVE it!  I first had a version of this salad a local restaurant years ago. That happens a lot, where I will have some dish out that I really like, so what I do when I get home is check out the restaurant's website for the dish and see what ingredients they have listed, what I remember ,and then I try to re-create it at home.  Sometimes it works, like in this case, sometimes not so much!  The only problem with doing that is experimenting with sauces, or in this case dressings. Restaurants don't list ingredients in the sauces the make so you have to be creative.

If you wanted to make this salad more hearty you could certainly add a chicken breast.  In fact, at the restaurant that is what they did.

Daryl doesn't really care for this salad so the ingredient list is just for one.  Just like all of our meals you can add more, or less of what you like or don't like.


Salad Ingrediants
2 cups of your choice of lettuce (I used romaine this time), chopped
1/4 cup of dried cranberries
1/4 cup Gorgonzola, or blue cheese, crumbled
4 pieces of bacon, cut
Sprinkle of croutons
Sprinkle of nuts, whatever you have on hand

Dressing
1 T. balsamic vinegar
2 T. olive oil
1/4 t. dijon mustard
Salt and pepper

Whisk and pour


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Rubbed Filet Mignon with Ancho Mushroom Sauce, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts

It really was as good, or even better then it looks! Tonight's meal is all Daryl!  He asked me what I wanted and my response was something like, "Meat sounds good, clean, not a lot of cheese, cream etc..." and what he came up with was  Coffee Rubbed Filet Mignon with Ancho Mushroom Sauce, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts.   Did I marry a good man or what?!  I also thought another Cesar Salad sounded good so, you guessed it - we're having one!   We are huge fans of Bobby Flay and we chose his recipes a lot.  I have said before that his recipes can be pretty time consuming, but there are days when that can be fun, and this was one of those days.  Daryl enjoys the steps that he has in his recipes, it makes it interesting for him, and a it is a challenge.  I am grateful to Bobby because of him I get to eat awesome food! SMOKED RED PEPPER SAUCE Yields: 2 ½ cups 4 roasted red bell peppers, chopped ½ small red onion, coarsely ...

Curry Spiced Bloody Mary

I am a self proclaimed Bloody Mary connoisseur.   It is my go to drink when we go out, always.  I tend to just drink wine at home. It's too expensive out, and we have much better wine at home anyway.  Occasionally I will go for a Margarita, but only if I know that it will be made from scratch, which is rare.  I used to be a waitress and a bartender and I am fully aware that most margaritas, at most bars and restaurants, have them pre-made on a "gun".  No thank you.  Back to my Bloody Mary addiction. Many bars use a bottle mix for Bloody Mary's, which doesn't bother me as much as the gun margarita, but I prefer one that is made from scratch.   I love tomatoes.  I could eat them every day - I actually do in the summer when we can get them fresh off the vine.  Here in MN a tomato in the winter doesn't even resemble a real one. I have found the perfect Bloody Mary recipe in our bon appetit subscription a few years ago.  It is light an...

Seared Tuna, Yellowtail and Salmon with Three Dipping Sauces

Simply delicious! These were pan seared on the stove.  This is a perfect light summer meal!  I have made it using the grill and the stove top and they were both fabulous!  I am not a huge fan of the Orange-Ginger Sauce but I included it here just in case you were interested in trying it.  There is nothing off putting about it, I just don't care for the orange flavor with the fish.  For a side dish I simply have either roasted asparagus or a corn salad.  (See separate post)  Also, the fish monger at Coastal Seafood informed me that yellowtail is synonymous with Hamachi (the one on the right).  I enjoyed the salmon and the tuna more so the second time I made this I only used those two, again your preference.(Another Bobbly Flay fav) Ingredients 1 pound skinless salmon fillet, sliced into 1-inch think strips 1 pound skinless tuna loin, sliced into 1-inch thick strips 1 pound yellowtail fillet, sliced tino 1-inch-thick strips Canola oil...