Skip to main content

Seared Scallops on Root Vegetable Mash

It tastes even better then it looks!


This is a dish I found in our local Mpls.St.Paul magazine years ago and it's from  Andrew Zimmern, our local food celebrity.  He hosts the cable TV show Bizarre Foods, which I actually find disgusting, but I follow him on twitter and have found that he makes "normal" food that is amazing!  I can't find this recipe online anywhere so you are in luck, it is outstanding! We have made it too many times to count, but this time I made it for myself while Daryl was out of town golfing.   He is usually the one that makes it and I wanted to do it for a change.  It is just as good in the winter, but it's extra special when using fresh root vegetables from the Farmer's Market.  It has quite a lot of butter, but occasionally you have to live it up right?

Mash
1.5 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths
1 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped
1 lb. rutabagas, peeled and diced
2 shallots, diced
2 T. canola oil
Sea salt
Ground white pepper (We use black pepper and it's just fine.)
4 oz. salted butter, room temperature
1 c. heavy cream or mild, more if you like a looser mash (we always use cream)


Place roasting pan in 400-degree oven. In bowl, toss vegetables in oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add to roasting pan and roast 30-35 minutes. Cool briefly an pass through food mill or gently pulse, in batches, in food processor. In pan over low hear, add mash, butter, and cream and adjust seasoning.







Wine Sauce
2 c. dry white wine
2 T. minced shallots
6 oz. salted butter, cut into small cubes
1/2 t. lemon juice
Sea slat to taste
2 T. minced chives

Wine sauce ingredients

Wine sauce simmering.
Simmer wine and shallots in small saucepan over medium heat. Reduce until about 2 T. of liquid is left. Whisk in butter in 4 batches an pull pan from heat about halfway through process. Whisk in lemon juice and salt to taste, add chives.







Scallops
2 lbs. (12-14 pound size) dry-pack diver sea scallops
Sea salt
Ground white pepper, again black is fine
2 T. butter
2 Sprigs fresh thyme




Season scallops with salt and pepper. In 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat, add butter. When butter foams, add thyme and scallops. Brown scallops on one side, tilting pan and basting with thyme and butter every 30 seconds or so until nicely browned. Flip scallops, count to 30, and remove pan from heat. Divide mash onto 6 plates, place scallops around mash, and drizzle with sauce. Serve immediately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Rubbed Filet Mignon with Ancho Mushroom Sauce, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts

It really was as good, or even better then it looks! Tonight's meal is all Daryl!  He asked me what I wanted and my response was something like, "Meat sounds good, clean, not a lot of cheese, cream etc..." and what he came up with was  Coffee Rubbed Filet Mignon with Ancho Mushroom Sauce, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts.   Did I marry a good man or what?!  I also thought another Cesar Salad sounded good so, you guessed it - we're having one!   We are huge fans of Bobby Flay and we chose his recipes a lot.  I have said before that his recipes can be pretty time consuming, but there are days when that can be fun, and this was one of those days.  Daryl enjoys the steps that he has in his recipes, it makes it interesting for him, and a it is a challenge.  I am grateful to Bobby because of him I get to eat awesome food! SMOKED RED PEPPER SAUCE Yields: 2 ½ cups 4 roasted red bell peppers, chopped ½ small red onion, coarsely ...

Curry Spiced Bloody Mary

I am a self proclaimed Bloody Mary connoisseur.   It is my go to drink when we go out, always.  I tend to just drink wine at home. It's too expensive out, and we have much better wine at home anyway.  Occasionally I will go for a Margarita, but only if I know that it will be made from scratch, which is rare.  I used to be a waitress and a bartender and I am fully aware that most margaritas, at most bars and restaurants, have them pre-made on a "gun".  No thank you.  Back to my Bloody Mary addiction. Many bars use a bottle mix for Bloody Mary's, which doesn't bother me as much as the gun margarita, but I prefer one that is made from scratch.   I love tomatoes.  I could eat them every day - I actually do in the summer when we can get them fresh off the vine.  Here in MN a tomato in the winter doesn't even resemble a real one. I have found the perfect Bloody Mary recipe in our bon appetit subscription a few years ago.  It is light an...

Seared Tuna, Yellowtail and Salmon with Three Dipping Sauces

Simply delicious! These were pan seared on the stove.  This is a perfect light summer meal!  I have made it using the grill and the stove top and they were both fabulous!  I am not a huge fan of the Orange-Ginger Sauce but I included it here just in case you were interested in trying it.  There is nothing off putting about it, I just don't care for the orange flavor with the fish.  For a side dish I simply have either roasted asparagus or a corn salad.  (See separate post)  Also, the fish monger at Coastal Seafood informed me that yellowtail is synonymous with Hamachi (the one on the right).  I enjoyed the salmon and the tuna more so the second time I made this I only used those two, again your preference.(Another Bobbly Flay fav) Ingredients 1 pound skinless salmon fillet, sliced into 1-inch think strips 1 pound skinless tuna loin, sliced into 1-inch thick strips 1 pound yellowtail fillet, sliced tino 1-inch-thick strips Canola oil...