Skip to main content

Seared Tuna, Yellowtail and Salmon with Three Dipping Sauces

Simply delicious! These were pan seared on the stove. 

This is a perfect light summer meal!  I have made it using the grill and the stove top and they were both fabulous!  I am not a huge fan of the Orange-Ginger Sauce but I included it here just in case you were interested in trying it.  There is nothing off putting about it, I just don't care for the orange flavor with the fish.  For a side dish I simply have either roasted asparagus or a corn salad.  (See separate post)  Also, the fish monger at Coastal Seafood informed me that yellowtail is synonymous with Hamachi (the one on the right).  I enjoyed the salmon and the tuna more so the second time I made this I only used those two, again your preference.(Another Bobbly Flay fav)


Ingredients


1 pound skinless salmon fillet, sliced into 1-inch think strips

1 pound skinless tuna loin, sliced into 1-inch thick strips
1 pound yellowtail fillet, sliced tino 1-inch-thick strips
Canola oil
Salt and pepper
Garlic-Lim Aioli, recipe follows
Spicy Ponzu, recipe follows
Orange-Ginger Sauce, recipe follows




Pan sear



Special equipment: 6-inch wooden skewers, soaked in cold water for a least 1 hour or you could use metal ones like we did.

Preheat charcoal grill for direct grilling over high heat. ( If using the stove top use a 12-14 inch skillet and canola oil and you obviously don't need the skewers.)


















Grilling just the salmon and tuna.
Thread one strip of  fish per skewer, brush with oil on both sides and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until slightly charred on both sides and still rare in the middle, about 30 seconds per side.  (On the stove top heat canola oil over medium high heat.  Sear about 2- minutes and flip to sear other side.









Serve on platters with the dipping sauces in small bowls.



Ingredients for all the dipping sauces. 


Garlic-lime Aioli:


1 cup mayonnaise
2 cloves garlic, smashed to a paste with salt
Zest and juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper

Directions:Whisk together the mayonnaise, garlic, lime zest and juice and salt and pepper to taste. Let stand for 10 minutes to allow he flavors to meld before serving.

Spicy Ponzu:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce
Pinch sugar
Freshly ground pepper

Directions:

Whisk together the say sauce, lemon juice, chile-garlic sauce and sugar and season with pepper. Let the sauce sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Orange -Ginger Sauce:

1 Tablespoon canola oil
2 Tablespoons peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice
2 Tablespoon light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce 
Juice of 1 lime
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon grated lime zest
1 large scallion (white and green part) thinly sliced
1 teaspoon toasted white sesame seeds


Directions:
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the ginger and red chile flakes and cook until the ginger is soft, about 2 minutes. Increase the heat to high, add the orange juice, brown sugar, soy sauce and lime juice and cook until the mixture is reduced by about one-quarter, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes.

Remove from the hear, stir in the rice vinegar and orange and limes zests and let cool to room temperature. Add the green onions and sesame seeds just before serving.




Perfection - dining alfresco - here it is with the corn salad and a refreshing glass of crisp Sauvignon Blanc!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Rubbed Filet Mignon with Ancho Mushroom Sauce, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts

It really was as good, or even better then it looks! Tonight's meal is all Daryl!  He asked me what I wanted and my response was something like, "Meat sounds good, clean, not a lot of cheese, cream etc..." and what he came up with was  Coffee Rubbed Filet Mignon with Ancho Mushroom Sauce, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts.   Did I marry a good man or what?!  I also thought another Cesar Salad sounded good so, you guessed it - we're having one!   We are huge fans of Bobby Flay and we chose his recipes a lot.  I have said before that his recipes can be pretty time consuming, but there are days when that can be fun, and this was one of those days.  Daryl enjoys the steps that he has in his recipes, it makes it interesting for him, and a it is a challenge.  I am grateful to Bobby because of him I get to eat awesome food! SMOKED RED PEPPER SAUCE Yields: 2 ½ cups 4 roasted red bell peppers, chopped ½ small red onion, coarsely ...

Curry Spiced Bloody Mary

I am a self proclaimed Bloody Mary connoisseur.   It is my go to drink when we go out, always.  I tend to just drink wine at home. It's too expensive out, and we have much better wine at home anyway.  Occasionally I will go for a Margarita, but only if I know that it will be made from scratch, which is rare.  I used to be a waitress and a bartender and I am fully aware that most margaritas, at most bars and restaurants, have them pre-made on a "gun".  No thank you.  Back to my Bloody Mary addiction. Many bars use a bottle mix for Bloody Mary's, which doesn't bother me as much as the gun margarita, but I prefer one that is made from scratch.   I love tomatoes.  I could eat them every day - I actually do in the summer when we can get them fresh off the vine.  Here in MN a tomato in the winter doesn't even resemble a real one. I have found the perfect Bloody Mary recipe in our bon appetit subscription a few years ago.  It is light an...