Skip to main content

Andrew Zimmern Seafood Chowder

Another cold Minnesota Saturday.  Spent the day Christmas shopping so we didn't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen, but we still wanted to have a nice meal at home.

Another thing to add about us is that we are home-bodies. We love our house, our life with our dog and cat.   We love being at home.  We are not Mr. and Mrs. Exciting, but like our blog post says, we are in love.   Married 20 years, and more in love now than 20 years ago...... maybe I could do my next blog on being happily married.  One sentence of advice:  be happy, be grateful, and serve someone other than yourself.  

I am on Twitter and I follow all of the great chefs. One of them is our local boy Andrew Zimmern.   We have had a couple really memorable meals courtesy of his recipes.   So when I saw his post on Twitter about the best Seafood Chowder he's had, of course I thought of Daryl and how he would like it and that we had to try it.     Corn and Seafood Chowder  (link to the recipe) The recipe calls for the cobs of fresh corn, we just used frozen corn and it worked beautifully.

It not only sounded delicious, but easy.  I wasn't crazy about the amounts of butter and cream but I knew Daryl would like the fact that it didn't have meat. Compromise? Happy Marriage!
Minus potatoes - oops! They were added shortly afterward!


Considering there was a quart of cream in this recipe the chowder was quite light.  Don't expect to be able to stand a spoon up in this chowder, it's much lighter than that.  You should immediately be taken by the sense of ocean...I'm sure the extra effort taken to create the seafood stock gets credit for this.   Really tasty.  It didn't feel heavy.  It was warm, delicious and perfect for a December 14 evening.  Thanks Andrew, our MN friend!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Rubbed Filet Mignon with Ancho Mushroom Sauce, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts

It really was as good, or even better then it looks! Tonight's meal is all Daryl!  He asked me what I wanted and my response was something like, "Meat sounds good, clean, not a lot of cheese, cream etc..." and what he came up with was  Coffee Rubbed Filet Mignon with Ancho Mushroom Sauce, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts.   Did I marry a good man or what?!  I also thought another Cesar Salad sounded good so, you guessed it - we're having one!   We are huge fans of Bobby Flay and we chose his recipes a lot.  I have said before that his recipes can be pretty time consuming, but there are days when that can be fun, and this was one of those days.  Daryl enjoys the steps that he has in his recipes, it makes it interesting for him, and a it is a challenge.  I am grateful to Bobby because of him I get to eat awesome food! SMOKED RED PEPPER SAUCE Yields: 2 ½ cups 4 roasted red bell peppers, chopped ½ small red onion, coarsely ...

Curry Spiced Bloody Mary

I am a self proclaimed Bloody Mary connoisseur.   It is my go to drink when we go out, always.  I tend to just drink wine at home. It's too expensive out, and we have much better wine at home anyway.  Occasionally I will go for a Margarita, but only if I know that it will be made from scratch, which is rare.  I used to be a waitress and a bartender and I am fully aware that most margaritas, at most bars and restaurants, have them pre-made on a "gun".  No thank you.  Back to my Bloody Mary addiction. Many bars use a bottle mix for Bloody Mary's, which doesn't bother me as much as the gun margarita, but I prefer one that is made from scratch.   I love tomatoes.  I could eat them every day - I actually do in the summer when we can get them fresh off the vine.  Here in MN a tomato in the winter doesn't even resemble a real one. I have found the perfect Bloody Mary recipe in our bon appetit subscription a few years ago.  It is light an...

Seared Tuna, Yellowtail and Salmon with Three Dipping Sauces

Simply delicious! These were pan seared on the stove.  This is a perfect light summer meal!  I have made it using the grill and the stove top and they were both fabulous!  I am not a huge fan of the Orange-Ginger Sauce but I included it here just in case you were interested in trying it.  There is nothing off putting about it, I just don't care for the orange flavor with the fish.  For a side dish I simply have either roasted asparagus or a corn salad.  (See separate post)  Also, the fish monger at Coastal Seafood informed me that yellowtail is synonymous with Hamachi (the one on the right).  I enjoyed the salmon and the tuna more so the second time I made this I only used those two, again your preference.(Another Bobbly Flay fav) Ingredients 1 pound skinless salmon fillet, sliced into 1-inch think strips 1 pound skinless tuna loin, sliced into 1-inch thick strips 1 pound yellowtail fillet, sliced tino 1-inch-thick strips Canola oil...