Skip to main content

Daryl's Sausage and Root Vegetable Frittatta with Roasted Tomatoes and Goat Cheese

Weather again dictates what we decided to make today.  Temperatures are a bit warmer, mid teens, but the snow is falling.  Predictions are 3 to 5 " by evening.  Since we knew this was coming and we wouldn't want to leave the house,  Daryl made sure to double up on the root vegetables yesterday.

This recipe came about by accident the last time we prepared a comfort food of some sort. We had extra root vegetables and decided to put them in a frittata.  An important part of this meal are the roasted tomatoes or Pomodori al Forno  These amazing tomatoes are a food that we try to have in the refrigerator all year long.  We use it like some people use ketchup or salsa!  We put them in salads, on burgers, eggs, and their suggested use, spread on a crostini with a smear of goat cheese.  I can't say it enough - delicious!  In the summer we use fresh tomatoes, but they are just as good using a good quality canned tomato also.

Roasted Tomatoes


Frittata
Yield 4
Time 1 hour

1.5 pounds of potatoes, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1/3 pound rutabaga, diced
(all par-boiled and chilled.)

1/2 onion finely diced
1 jalapeno finely diced
1/4 slab bacon, diced
1 hot Italian sausage, diced
6 eggs beaten
1/2 cup whole milk, or cream
4 slices of Pomodor al Formo roasted tomatoes
1oz goat cheese crumbled
3 T. butter

Quality ingredients make better meals.


Good enough to eat!


In a large saute pan(12") cook the sausage and bacon together until lightly browned and remove from pan.   In the same pan, saute root vegetables in dripping from bacon and sausage,  over medium high heat turning occasionally until lightly browned.   Remove vegetables and clean pan. Bring to medium high heat and add butter and when foamy add egg and sausage, mix to combine, then add the rest. Cook on stove top until eggs start to firm then top with roasted tomatoes and goat cheese.   Place the pan in a preheated 350° oven for 10-15 minutes.  
Chow time! 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Rubbed Filet Mignon with Ancho Mushroom Sauce, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts

It really was as good, or even better then it looks! Tonight's meal is all Daryl!  He asked me what I wanted and my response was something like, "Meat sounds good, clean, not a lot of cheese, cream etc..." and what he came up with was  Coffee Rubbed Filet Mignon with Ancho Mushroom Sauce, Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts.   Did I marry a good man or what?!  I also thought another Cesar Salad sounded good so, you guessed it - we're having one!   We are huge fans of Bobby Flay and we chose his recipes a lot.  I have said before that his recipes can be pretty time consuming, but there are days when that can be fun, and this was one of those days.  Daryl enjoys the steps that he has in his recipes, it makes it interesting for him, and a it is a challenge.  I am grateful to Bobby because of him I get to eat awesome food! SMOKED RED PEPPER SAUCE Yields: 2 ½ cups 4 roasted red bell peppers, chopped ½ small red onion, coarsely ...

Curry Spiced Bloody Mary

I am a self proclaimed Bloody Mary connoisseur.   It is my go to drink when we go out, always.  I tend to just drink wine at home. It's too expensive out, and we have much better wine at home anyway.  Occasionally I will go for a Margarita, but only if I know that it will be made from scratch, which is rare.  I used to be a waitress and a bartender and I am fully aware that most margaritas, at most bars and restaurants, have them pre-made on a "gun".  No thank you.  Back to my Bloody Mary addiction. Many bars use a bottle mix for Bloody Mary's, which doesn't bother me as much as the gun margarita, but I prefer one that is made from scratch.   I love tomatoes.  I could eat them every day - I actually do in the summer when we can get them fresh off the vine.  Here in MN a tomato in the winter doesn't even resemble a real one. I have found the perfect Bloody Mary recipe in our bon appetit subscription a few years ago.  It is light an...

Seared Tuna, Yellowtail and Salmon with Three Dipping Sauces

Simply delicious! These were pan seared on the stove.  This is a perfect light summer meal!  I have made it using the grill and the stove top and they were both fabulous!  I am not a huge fan of the Orange-Ginger Sauce but I included it here just in case you were interested in trying it.  There is nothing off putting about it, I just don't care for the orange flavor with the fish.  For a side dish I simply have either roasted asparagus or a corn salad.  (See separate post)  Also, the fish monger at Coastal Seafood informed me that yellowtail is synonymous with Hamachi (the one on the right).  I enjoyed the salmon and the tuna more so the second time I made this I only used those two, again your preference.(Another Bobbly Flay fav) Ingredients 1 pound skinless salmon fillet, sliced into 1-inch think strips 1 pound skinless tuna loin, sliced into 1-inch thick strips 1 pound yellowtail fillet, sliced tino 1-inch-thick strips Canola oil...